Eugenol oil (clove oil) overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows a large amount of a product containing this ingredient.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Clove oil overdose
- Some toothache medications
- Food flavorings
- Clove cigarettes
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Airways and lungs
- Breathing - shallow
- Breathing - rapid
- Coughing up blood
- Bladder and kidneys
- Eyes, ears, nose, throat, and mouth
- Burns in mouth and throat
- Gastrointestinal system
- Heart and blood
- Nervous system
Seek immediate emergency help. Do NOT make the person throw up unless told to do so by a doctor or poison control center.
If the product touched the skin, clean the area with soap and water.
Before Calling Emergency:
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room:
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
The patient may receive:
- Breathing tube
- Camera down the throat to see burns in the esophagus and the stomach (endoscopy)
- Tube through the nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage )
Survival past 48 hours is usually a good sign that recovery will occur. If any damage to the kidneys or throat has occurred, it may take several months to heal.
|Review Date: 2/5/2009|
Reviewed By: A.D.A.M. Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Greg Juhn, MTPW, David R. Eltz. Previously reviewed by Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network (1/20/2008).
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.