Wentworth-Douglass Hospital’s Rehabilitation Services, Seacoast Cancer Center and The Works Family Health & Fitness Center are pleased to offer an exercise program for cancer patients. The program serves as a “bridge” to assist patients in the challenging transition from treatment and rehab to previous activities and levels of functioning.
How may I benefit from the program?
- Increased physical ability by improving strength, endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility and balance
- Increased energy level by reducing the Cancer-related Fatigue (CRF) that 90% of cancer patients experience
- Improved posture through practicing the discipline of Chi Kung
- Enhanced sense of overall well-being through exercising in a positive environment with fellow survivors
How Do I Get Started?
- Obtain a physician referral from your Oncologist to Rehab Services at WDH.
- Receive an evaluation with a physical therapist (PT) at WDH. The PT will determine readiness and type of exercise program. Associated costs are generally covered by most insurance companies, however, you may be responsible for any co-pays and/or deductibles.
- Receive an initial consultation with the Medical Wellness Coordinator at The Works.
- Begin the 3-month Exercise Works For Cancer Recovery Program at The Works.
- Receive a final consultation with the Medical Wellness Coordinator at The Works.
- Work with the Medical Wellness Coordinator to plan continued exercise plan.
What is involved in the program?
- Evaluation with Physical Therapist at WDH (fees may apply)
- 3-Month Exercise Program at The Works. The group meets M, W, & F 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. and includes Chi Kung, strength, balance, flexibility and cardiovascular training, and Friday Survivor Aquatics class. (Independent Program available as determined by Physical Therapist during assessment)
- Cancer Recovery Education monthly at The Works by one of the following Guest Speakers from WDH: Dietician, Social Worker or Oncology Nurse
Cost: Free for patients of Seacoast Cancer Center or patients of physicians affiliated with our hospital. The cost is $165 for all others.
Contact: For specific program information, please contact the Medical Wellness Coordinator at The Works at (603) 742-2163 or Rehab Services at WDH