Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and Southern Maine, specializing in Trauma and Emergency Services, Surgery, Cancer Care, Birthing, Orthopedic Services, Cardiovascular Services, Sleep Disorders, Rehabilitation, Pain Management, Wound Healing, Wellness and Prevention Programs plus extensive diagnostic services. Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is a not-for-profit charitable organization. Wi-Fi is available throughout the hospital for patients and visitors.
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is one of the NH Accountable Care Partners.
For more information, see Our History below or visit our News Release Archive.
Quality Awards and Accreditations
- Accredited by the Joint Commission on Healthcare Organization
- Advanced certification as New Hampshire's first Primary Stroke Center. Read more
- Get with the Guidelines – Silver Award for Heart Failure
- Get with the Guidelines – Silver Plus Award for Stoke Care
- Trauma ACS State Level 3 Verification
- 2015 Consumer Reports named WDH in top 1% of hospitals in the nation for Safety and Respect
- Women's Choice Award 2014 for Obstetrics, Cancer Care, Orthopedics & Overall Patient Satisfaction
- Environmental Services named 2014 Department of the Year by Health Forum’s Health Facilities Management Magazine & the Association for the Healthcare Environment
- Health Grades 2015 list of top hospitals for Patient Experiences & Safety
- Only NH hospital listed in U.S. News Media & World Report's 2012-13 Best Hospital rankings for the Boston Metro Area. read more
- Ranked second in the state of NH, following Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, in the U.S. News Media & World Report's 2012-13 Best Hospital rankings. read more
- Listed first of only two hospitals recognized for strong performance in Southern NH in the U.S. News Media & World Report's 2012-13 Best Hospital rankings. read more
Diabetes Services - recognized by the American Diabetes Association for meeting strict standards of patient education.
Joint Replacement Center - received BlueCross BlueShield's Blue Distinction Center Designation award. read more
Laboratory - accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
Seacoast Cancer Center - approved by The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
Sleep Disorders Center - accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. read more
Spine Center - an Aetna Institute of Quality® Orthopedic Care Facility for spine surgery, selected for consistently delivering evidence-based, safe care.
Vascular Laboratory - accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Vascular Labs.
Wentworth Health Partners - The Joint Commission Ambulatory Health Care and Primary Medical Home Certification
Assessing the health needs of our community and developing ways to address those needs is one way Wentworth-Douglass helps to improve the overall health and quality of life in our community.
2013 Community Health Needs Assessment (PDF)
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital has developed an implementation strategy address the community's top five health need identified through the 2013 Community Health Needs Assessment.
2013 CHNA Implementation Strategy (PDF)
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital was conceived as a 30-bed hospital on March 15, 1904 when the Dover City Council accepted "the receipt in trust of a legacy under the will of the late Arioch Wentworth" who gave "to the town of Dover, NH, for a hospital to be called the Wentworth", $100,000. The hospital opened on August 30, 1906. The Wentworth Hospital consisted of three cottage-type buildings connected by corridors - the Men's Ward, Women's Ward, and Nurse's Home and administrative building. All that remains today of the original buildings is a stone wall along Central Avenue. In 1982, Wentworth-Douglass Hospital became the first Seacoast hospital to be designated as a trauma center and that same year the hospital separated from the city and incorporated as a non-profit community hospital. Today Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is licensed for 178 beds, making it one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast. The hospital strives to meet the medical needs of the community it serves, changing as times change. But, just as in 1906, the patient is still the center of our timeless tradition of providing compassionate and comprehensive care.
Be the highest quality, cost-effective integrated healthcare system in New Hampshire and Southern Maine.
We partner with individuals and families to attain their highest level of health.